This page explains how to register with the club. Please read through it all so you are prepared BEFORE you start registering! When you are ready, you can access the registration form link at the bottom of the page.
Questions about registration?
NEW FOR 2023/2024
Separate Fall & Winter Registrations
For 2023/2024, we are piloting separate fall (Sept-Dec) and winter (Jan-Mar) registration signups, to provide flexibility for accepting new athletes, and to identify if this system of registration can positively impact our allocation of ice time.
What this means for you
- If you plan on skating full-year (Sept-March): you must check TWO boxes in the form for your chosen program – one for the fall 2023 session and one for the winter-spring 2024 session. The fall cost is 60% of the total cost as it’s a longer session; winter cost is 40%. See this full screenshot of the program selection page so you know which boxes to check.
- Early bird discount: As in past years, there is a $20 early bird discount if you sign up by Fri August 25. For 2023/2024 this will apply as follows during the early bird period: $12 off fall session, $8 off winter session.
- Register early! Sign up asap for your sessions so spots are held for you – ie: don’t wait until December to sign up for the winter session if you already know you want to skate this year!
What are the minimum requirements?
Minimum skating age is 5 years old (as of June 30).
For safety, VSSC requires that new skaters have some basic skating experience. Skaters must be able to:
- skate across the length of the rink without assistance;
- glide on one foot;
- forward scull with both feet; and
- snowplow stop with both feet.
What else do I need to get ready for registration?
Select your program and fees
Please note: Our main program has ice time from September through March while Kits Rink is open. During summer, we run dryland training outdoors. See the full overview on our Program page.
Get your equipment
VSSC provides rental of speed skates as part of its program costs—but all speed skaters need to have mandatory safety equipment before you can get on the ice! See the list of needed items here.
Know your European shoe size
During the registration and bootfitting we will ask for your skater’s European shoe size to help match them to the right skates. Usually you can find this on the shoe label on the inside of your skater’s regular shoes. Try your best to give us a number, we will figure out the right skates together!
How to Fully Register for On-Ice Sessions
- Go to our IceReg registration link at the bottom of this page. If you don’t have it already through our newsletter, email firstname.lastname@example.org for the passphrase.
- For child skaters: sign up parents/guardians first. It is preferable to sign up two “Guardian Members” for a child skater. If no Guardian Member is registered the skating member is not permitted on ice.
- For adult skaters without a child skater, skip to Step 2.
- For child skaters: choose “Register Someone Else” and sign up your skater(s). Select “New Member Registration” if your skater is new to the club this year or “Returning Member Registration” for if you skated with us last year.
- For adult skaters: Select “New Member Registration” if you are new to the club or “Returning Member Registration” if you skated with us last year.
- PLEASE NOTE
- Another reminder that if you plan to skate full-year with the club, please be sure to check TWO boxes for your desired program – one for the fall 2023 session and winter-spring 2024 session! Otherwise you will only be signed up for half the year! See this full screenshot of the program selection page so you know which boxes to check.
- If you are new to the club, during the registration you will be offered the chance to buy socks and skate guards during registration. These will be provided at your bootfitting session (signup below). Don’t forget, you will also need other mandatory equipment before your first ice session!
- Electronically sign all the waiver forms required for your membership.
- Pay your fees please! Please note each transaction incurs a fee of 4.9%+$0.30.
- Next, sign up for an August 2023 bootfitting appointment in this spreadsheet! (If you are a One Month Trial skater or a new member starting in October or later, you will be fitted at your first practice.)
- Speed skating boots and blades are unique to the sport, expensive and hard to find for purchase. VSSC includes skate rentals in the membership fee to promote accessibility to the sport. (For Special Olympics registrants, boots are provided by Special Olympics BC – contact email@example.com for more info)
- A rental deposit is required for boots and skates; please bring a $400 post-dated (April 1) cheque addressed to Vancouver Speed Skating Club to your bootfitting session.
- After your registration, you will receive a registration confirmation email with a detailed welcome message in it that has answers to likely all of the questions you will have about the upcoming year. Have a look so you are informed! See you on the ice!
- Prior to season start: 100% refund of VSSC club fee, less $25 admin fee and transaction fees. You are responsible for obtaining refunds from SSBC and SSC for their fees.
- After season start: no refunds.